Some online marketing companies will use immoral, annoying and spamming methods to get you higher website traffic and conversions.
Using such methods will get your company a boost in traffic for a few months but there will be repurcussions. The consequences of their actions will affect your company where potential clients will not consider your company due to its immoral spamming methods and if someone reports your company to the many monitoring agencies out there, your website could get blacklisted on the internet.
Once your website gets blacklisted, it will take a lot of work and time to get removed from that list. You will have be able to prove that it was not your doing, that it was a mistake and that it will never happens again.
Pleading ignorance as to the techniques used by the marketing company you hired is not an excuse that will work. If your company hired them, you should have been aware of every techniques they used to advertise your business.
Even if you have a clause in the contract with that advertising company stating that they are not to use spamming or other deceiving advertising methods, it will help in getting your company off of the blacklist but it will not help consumer confidence in your company.
Here are some examples of spamming techniques used by irresponsible marketing companies that give the industry a bad name:
- Email Spamming – This is when a marketing company sends out tens of thousands of unsolicited emails without an unsubscribe option.
- Forum Spamming – That is when a company goes on every forum they can and spam your product posting unwanted ads in the forum.
- Guestbook Spamming – This is when a marketing company goes on a guestbook and advertises your product.
- Phone blasts Spamming – Not quite an online method but it is when a company uses a program to send messages thru the phone that advertises their company.
- Misleading Advertisement – This one is straightforward enough and is made up of several categories like false advertisement or advertisement that has the details of the prmotion in very small and hard to read print that makes it nearly impossible for anyone to take advantage of the listed promotion.
To keep from giving your company a bad reputation, make sure that when you decide to hire a marketing company to advertise your online business, have a sit down talk with them and discuss every marketing technique that will be used to advertise you company.
To be fair, most marketing companies do not use spamming techniques. Most of these techniques are used by agencies that join a company´s affiliate program. Most of the time the people will get away using these spamming methods because the affiliate manager does not have enough time to keep up with every single affiliate in their program.
Not doing so could cost your company more than just a few clients and the cost of marketing. It could hurt your business for many years down the road and even close your business.